May 5, 2023 – Leduc Curling Club Update to Members from your Board of Directors
It’s been a busy few weeks since we last updated you on the changes happening at our club. In our last update, we told you that:
- Tim’s Ice Manufacturing would no longer be operating our food services, and we would stop using them to manage the club. The Board would take on direct oversight once again
- The restaurant and lounge would be closing
- LCC would continue operating the main floor concession over the summer with a small staff
- We were on the hunt for a General Manager for our Club
- We were also looking for new Board Members and were establishing a volunteer task force to help in planning out the next season and the club’s future
So … what’s happened?
Food Services – We are looking forward to getting out of the food services business and focusing on Curling.
- The restaurant is closed and LRC is looking for new tenants. There may be a few deals on frozen pulled pork or beef if you are interested
- Our downstairs concession is operating under the direction of Manager Carol Tracy. The Curling Club has a huge opportunity to generate some cash, as one of the primary food providers during the Leduc Rodeo. We will open for extended hours to service the midway and the rodeo crowds, from May 29 to June 4. We need volunteers to supplement our workforce during peak hours; we need to fill 20 4-hour shifts in total over Friday, June 2 (9 am-1am) and Saturday, June 3 (7 am – 11 pm)
New General Manager - Change can be good, but it’s always a wee bit stressful. The transition from Tim’s Ice to direct oversight of the club has been hectic, but we’ve taken a great leap forward. After working with Curling Alberta to attract and assess candidates for this role, we are thrilled to announce that Andrea Procter will continue to work with us, as the General Manager for Leduc Curling Club. She’s had a short break but will be starting as our employee on May 8, and with her background, we can expect her to hit the ground running. We’re excited about working directly with Andrea to grow our Club!
Board Members and Volunteer Task Force – We have welcomed two new members to our board – Mike Ohlmann and Matthew Hilker. They have jumped in at a busy time, and it’s great to have new members asking questions about our operations. We still have room for more on our Board if you are interested. We also have a group of members that have volunteered to work with us on planning out our future – next season and beyond. We expect to regroup with them within the next couple weeks. If we don’t have your name on our list, but you would like to participate, please reach out.
Presentation to the City of Leduc – We spoke of this at the Members meeting on March 26, but we are scheduled to present on Monday, May 8. This is our opportunity to showcase our club, but also an opportunity to tell the City of challenges our club faces and where we could use their assistance.
We still have lots to do before our ice goes in at the end of July, but we are looking forward to the upcoming season and new opportunities for our club and our membership!